|Tylenol rapid release pills (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Dogs have a tendency of trying to eat just about everything they come across. In most cases, this causes some slight discomfort. There are things, however, that can be dangerous enough to cause death to your dog if he eats them. The following is a brief list:
1) Antifreeze: Many people do not realize it, but common antifreeze kills many pets each year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your dog and is very appealing to him.
2) Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called the obromine which is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate is especially dangerous.
4) Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small dog.
5) Watch Batteries: If your dog ingests a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are toxic to dogs as well.
6) Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures..
7) Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category.
8) Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma.
9) Peach Pits: With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.
10) Household Plants: Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants include poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil's ivy, aloe, and ivy.
If you think your dog may have eaten any of these substances, or anything else that could poison him, call a vet immediately. It could save his life.